Berggruen Holdings was founded in 1984 and is the direct investment vehicle of The Nicolas Berggruen Charitable Trust, estimated to exceed $3 billion. It invests its proprietary capital which allows for flexibility in financing, swift investment decisions and longer investment horizons.
Typical investments range from US$ 20 million to $100 million in a single transaction. Berggruen believes in a partnership philosophy wherein works closely with existing management teams, developers and asset managers.
- The group is present in India through the following companies:
- Berggruen Education – Operating under the brand name "UEI Global", the company is set to bring about a change in the approach in which education and training is conducted in India.
- Berggruen Hotels – Setting up a chain of mid market business hotels pan India under the brand name "The Keys". It currently has eleven operating hotels of which five are management contracts.
- Berggruen Car Rentals – A premier car service and people transportation business under two brand names “Car Club” and “Select Cabs” operating in 17 cities across India. It is India’s second largest car transportation company.
- Gemini Equipment And Rentals – Operating under the brand name "GEAR", the company rents out construction and material handling equipment in a full service offering that includes men, machines and maintenance. GEAR is now India’s largest general purpose equipment rental company with over 400 assets under management.It also operates under the brand name "Equipwell", the company trades in construction and material handling equipment.
- Real Estate – Several investments into real estate which include joint ventures, joint developments and own development in various cities across India.